9/8/15

Writing To Learn

Something I really like about this class is the writing requirement. I know that sounds crazy; I don't mean I love having homework. But I think the best way to become a better writer is to practice. The best way to become a better anything is practicing. With writing especially, you can't sit down and know. It's not facts, it's art. Making the words smooth, letting them flow properly.

My dad's an english professor with published poems, so it's kind of a big deal for me to know how to write. I even thought I wanted to be a writer, for a little while (before I realized I couldn't sit still for that long...but acting isn't far removed from writing, it's just telling stories with your body instead of with your words). But I still believe writing is so important. It's a way to communicate. It's always changing and expanding and evolving, and it can change people as much as people change it. And that is really what "writing to learn" is all about.

2 comments: