8/26/15

My "Profession"????

Let me start this post off by saying I don't believe in growing up. I don't think anyone really does it, it's just make-believe nonsense to me, like the purity myth created by the patriarchy or Donald Trump's presidential campaign. Sure, I know some of the things I like doing, but a lot of them aren't "viable career options" because no one knows if I would be able to live off them.

Having a constant "job" to stay with forever is so scary to me. As a young adult and a child, it took me a long time stumbling through puberty to finally realize that the only constant is change. And then becoming an adult is this huge symbol for becoming steady or settling down or figuring everything out, somehow. Maybe in twenty years I'll have grown so sick of theatre I'll refuse to watch the Tony Awards. Maybe in five years. Maybe next month, I'll want to be a psychologist or a florist or a missionary. Those things have interested me, too. I'm drawn to anything interesting with bright colors that doesn't involve sitting in a cubicle.

I just want to learn. I want to find out things that I don't know, and see and do things that make my time in this place awesome, in the most literal sense of the word. Hike up a mountain, go to Europe, do a real cartwheel, find out why I dream what I do, help someone. That's my "professional goal". Maybe I'll figure something out soon, and maybe not. But either way I'm hoping for experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment